Monday, May 19, 2008

A dose of silliness...


These rhymes are my first ever post. Just a heads-up: "Nonsense IV" is a four-part canon.






Nonsense I
It happened, as I heard it told
A philosopher once caught a cold
And found, poor chap, to his dismay
He could not reason it away





Nonsense II
"Ode to Brilliance"

Come raise an ode to brilliance
Come lift your voice to laud
That worthier set,
Lest we forget the debt we owe them,
We the flawed

With hand placed gently o'er my heart
I breathe a quiet hymn
Deep-wrought with awe and gratitude
Till my misted eyes grow dim

When suddenly that guarded heart beats unabashed
For gazing 'round, I find myself not set apart
But mid the throng on hallowed ground

We prodigies, we precious few
To whom the common pledge their thanks
For doing what they cannot do
Of course I'm numbered in these ranks

refrain:
Come one, come all from every land
Who achieve by mind or voice or hand
What mortals dare not undertake
And sing a song for brilliance' sake

And shall I cease to sing my praise
As all this song has been for me?
Nay, I cry the louder
For I am everything I dreamed I'd be

refrain:
Come one, come all from every land
Who achieve by mind or voice or hand
What mortals dare not undertake
And sing a song for brilliance' sake




Nonsense III
...for sophie who's favorite things in all the world are princesses, dinosaurs, and the color pink

Her majesty was a paleontologist,
Ambassador of her trade
A roundly admired prehistoric apologist, and
A vision in fuchsia brocade

Though blue of blood
And delicate of countenance
No stranger to soirée, ball, or cotillion
Her majesty preferred to excavate across the continents
Oh how she loved things ancient and reptilian

They say she favored amber at her sweet-sixteen
When every other debutante wore diamond, but
So imbued with grace was she,
Bejeweled in caramel tones or crystalline
Next season you wore amber if you were anyone who was anyone

High princess of digs and the toast of society
A darling of every sphere
She nevertheless was a model of propriety
Her entire auspicious career






Nonsense IV
...for the Holman boys who helped me write a storybook about Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob-George once

Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob-George had a turtle(What a turtle!)
And prodigeeously dexterous was he, for Billy-
Joe-Jim-Bob-George's turtle, he could juggle, being
Born to a prestigeeous old juggling family

Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob-George took his turtle to the circus
And the jugglers were positively green, but not as
Green as Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob-George's turtle, for his
Turtle is the best and greenest there has ever been.


No comments: